But, did you know that not all Albertan are alike? Many markets, such as the Southwest Edmonton Farmers' Market, have gone the extra mile to make sure that our values and practices reflect the real vision goals of community and economic development of our Province. These markets have gone through a thorough application and certification process through the Ministry of Agriculture and have earned the title of "Alberta Approved". You can recognize us by looking for the "Alberta Sunny Girl" logo:
- Operate on a not-for-profit basis. This means that all monies generated by the market must be reinvested into the market every year. Markets are run either by not-for-profit organizations or by a committee incorporated under the Societies Act or the Cooperatives Act.
- Have proof of inspection and approval by Alberta Health Services. This includes having a manager who is trained in Food Safety and can ensure that all products being sold are safe for distribution.
- Have a manager who has successfully passed the Farmers' Market Manager Training program.
- Show proof of liability insurance in the event that there is a problem that arises at the market.
- Follow the protocols of the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of the market vendors (or more) must sell a product that they (or their immediately staff and/or family member) have made, baked, or grown in Alberta. The remaining 20% of the vendors can be from out of province, resale and/or commercial products.
- The site and products meet all the health and safety regulations of the province.
- The majority of the products/vendors are Alberta grown, made or manufactured and that those that are not will be clearly identified.
- That the organizers and employees are part of a not-for-proft group dedicated to building their community and creating a sustainable local economy.
- That there is a trained point-person (Manager, Board member or other designated representative) accountable for ensuring that all the rules and regulations are consistently followed.